Research Scientist I Job Description
The primary job duty of the Research Scientist I is assisting the VP of Laboratory and Scientific Operations in managing the product and services within the Embryology, Andrology, and Microbiology laboratories. In addition, the individual will carry out research objectives outlined by the client/sponsor with guidance from management. Assist in preparing and performing complex quality control audits of customer project status. Initiate appropriate root cause analysis and assist in developing corrective action plans to achieve customer and department goals. Actively involved in assisting in the writing, testing, revising, and training SOPs. Provide daily supervision of personnel and operations to ensure achievement of departmental goals and levels.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Collaborates in conducting research by working with clients/sponsors and/or other partners.
- Conducts research effectively by maintaining accurate records of experiments and analyses performed, conducting relevant literature searches, and maintaining up-to-date knowledge of all current methods of experimentation.
- Plan, direct, coordinate, and schedule department activities through hands-on technical support and delegation of responsibility and/or authority to departmental subordinates.
- Contributes to disseminating knowledge gained through research by preparing and publishing findings and presenting findings in meetings with partners and at scientific conferences.
- Provide direct daily supervision and training of assigned departmental employees and assist management with related personnel tasks.
- Remains competent and current through self-directed professional reading, developing professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development training, and attending training and/or courses required by the supervisor.
- Monitor work of assigned employees to ensure adherence to Standard Operating Procedures (SOP), safety procedures and biosafety protocols; Review/update/institute SOP.
- Represent the department during customer audits and tours.
- Review customer complaints and participate in the development and implementation of any resulting procedural changes.
- Contributes to the overall success of the project by performing all other duties as assigned.
- Education: Master’s degree (M.S.) in Biological Sciences, Animal Science, or related discipline. M.A./M.Sc. is preferred in Biological Sciences.
- Experience: Two to eight years related experience in (industry/area/discipline).
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be accepted as a satisfactory substitute for the specific education and experience listed above.
- Certification/Licensure: AALAS certification at the ALATG or above is preferred. Other: Sufficient computer knowledge of databases. Must possess a high level of initiative and the ability to work with little supervision. Broad knowledge of biology laboratory practices • Ability to bend, squat, kneel, stand, reach above shoulder level, and move on hard surfaces for up to eight hours
- Ability to work in dusty, dirty, and odorous environments
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus